Sunday, September 5, 2010

Dr. Carr's Lecture Summary

Dr. Carr's lecture, this past week, entitled "Learning, Wisdom and the African World Experience: An Mbongi" surrounded the ideas of Africans and African Americans and education. We talked about Africa being the motherland of ideas such as  language. For example words like 'sedjem' meaning 'listen', 'Ma'at' meaning 'truth', and the term 'Medew Nefer' meaning 'good speech'. Other forms of education or learning that came from Africa include writing, science, arts, spiritual systems/religion, formal teaching/school.  
The one topic that caught my attention immediately upon it's mentioning and continues to peak my interest is the idea of "Miseducation". The fact that we, African Americans, as a people, have, for some time, reverted back to some forms of ignorance, peeves me. It makes me feel ashamed and in some way disappointed at the digression of our people. At the same time, it motivates me to go against the grain; to strive to do better than what others and even I, myself, expect of me. 
Overall, the lecture was influential. I learned that Africans always thought that education was vital to everyone and that our ancestors strived to be smarter, wiser beings and I feel that is a goal that we, as humans, should all have for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment