Thursday, December 2, 2010

Peer Presentaion Reflection #1

Throughout the past couple of weeks, I've experienced some great presentations from my fellow classmates. While I feel that overall, we as a group (the freshman seminar class) did a great job presenting and researching as a unit, two particular. The first was the presentation titled, “To Sleep Or Not To Sleep” [I forget the name of the group]. The presentation talked about college students and our sleeping habits or lack there of, and the effects on bodies. Of course, knowing the basics, like the fact that sleep is a biological need and that the less sleep you get, the less you function is knowledge that many of us gain as early as middle school. But the fact that long term sleep deprivation can lead to depression, various illnesses/diseases, and even death can be shocking information to even most adults.
What made this particular presentation and subject so interesting to me is the fact that I, like most college student and teenagers my age, suffer from sleep deprivation weekly. As if being a student were not time-consuming enough, I am a commuter from Germantown, Md with a part-time job and 19 credits. Everything is so fast pace and there never seems to be enough time in the day. “School is always first” in the eyes of most student due to the pressures of society and family friends to do well or die; not literally of course. So, I spend more time working, than sleeping And I undoubtedly feel the effects each and everyday that I am further deprived of rest.
I think the best part of this presentation was the advise, “Make sleep a PRIORITY.” Yes school is important, and yes you should do your work and make time for studying, but more importantly than those things, we as people, not just students, need to make sure that we get an efficient amount of sleep each and every night. Otherwise, we set ourselves up for failure and, eventually, bad health.

No comments:

Post a Comment