Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Self Reflection

Even though I expected freshmen seminar to be geared towards helping us transition to college life and help us with the many things concerning the college of arts and sciences, it was interesting. All of the lectures brought on a new idea about life, particularly the African American life. It focused on our beliefs, our weaknesses, our strengths, our past, present and future. Many, if not all the lectures were inspirational in its own way. I have gotten a lot of information out of these lectures.
My favorite lecture came from Dr. Segun Gbadegesin. It was about self Actualization and communal responsibility. His lecture was enjoyable because not only did he speak about bettering our selves but also our community. By working on becoming a better person, we can reach out to those who are not on the path. From doing that, it will create a positive; much needed path in the African American community.
Another favorite lecture of mine was learning about the history of the names of the many Howard University buildings on campus. Before and while being here, I had not much of a clue why or what the buildings on Howard’s campus were named after.
Overall, this class has been helpful. It has sort of acted as a history class for me. I enjoyed hearing the lectures from the many guests we have had. I also enjoy Dr. Carr’s many speeches. I really loved the African burial ground in New York and learning about the many historical events that have happened regarding the burial ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment