Monday, October 11, 2010

African Burial Ground

This past weekend I went on the trip to the African Burial Ground in New York, and I learned a lot about the events that took place when the remains of the Burial Ground were discovered. I was amazed at how the community took a stand against the city leaders who were trying to build over this historical discovery; their plans to build an office building over the forgotten burial ground showed their complete disrespect for African American history. I was also proud to learn that Howard University took an active role in preserving the ancient bodies of our ancestors found at the site of African Burial Ground. When they mentioned that the bones were on display in Douglass Hall for three years, I was impressed by the interest the students took in the matter. Howard's involvement in the affair was inspiring and make me proud to be a student of Howard University.

No comments:

Post a Comment